For Shimano XTM8000 and SLXM7000
More power? Check. Better traction? Definitely. Less shifting? Yup. Funky uneven pedal stroke? Not with Wolf Tooth’s PowerTrac Elliptical™ (PTE) chainrings. Our proprietary design means a slightly less ovalized ring (10%) with less aggressive timing (112°) than competitors’ versions; any change to your pedal stroke is unnoticeable for most riders, but they still provide the POWER and TRACTION benefits inherent to oval chainrings. Click HERE for detailed information on our PTE technology.
It’s like having two chainrings in one! With PowerTrac Elliptical rings, the larger-diameter section of the ring engages with the chain at the optimal point on the downstroke, or “Power Zone,” – between 1-5 and 7-11 on a clock face – to take advantage of your body’s natural biomechanical POWER: For example, during this section, a PTE 34t ring is equivalent to a 36t round ring. Similarly in the “Recovery Zone” (11-1 and 5-7), the smaller section on the PTE ring engages, maximizing EFFICIENCY in the weakest part of the pedal stroke; here the PTE 34t ring is equivalent to a 32t round ring.
Additionally, the above provides a smoother, more efficient pedal rotation, which means better TRACTION. Steadier torque on the rear wheel means less spinning out in the “Power Zone,” while pedaling is easier during the “Recovery Zone,” so you maintain momentum.
- These rings fit on the Shimano XT M8000 and SLX M7000 1x or 2x cranksets, and here are instructions on how to measure your BCD.
- Use only the stock Shimano XT M8000 or SLX M7000 chainring bolts
- These CAN be mounted to the XTR 9000 series cranks, but you will have to use the bolt caps that come with that crankset and you will need to file roughly 1mm off the threaded boss on each bolt cap (they are a little too long and don't allow the ring to be tightened down).
- For 1x9, 1x10, 1x11 and 1x12 drivetrains (including SRAM Eagle)
- Compatible with all 10, 11, and 12-speed chains except Shimano 12-speed chains.
- If using a 9-speed drivetrain use a 10-speed chain (shifts and works well on a 9-speed drivetrain and fits the ring tighter for better chain retention).
- Design and manufactured in Minneapolis, MN USA
- Wolf Tooth’s patented Drop-Stop® wide/narrow tooth profile for the ultimate chain retention and mud shedding ability
- Recommend the use of a clutch style rear derailleur for the best chain security.
- Material - 7075-T6 aluminum
- Chainline - 49mm
- Boost Crankset Chainline - 52 mm
- Must use the stock chainring bolts. The Wolf Tooth chainring bolts are a different size.
- Ovality of 10% and timing of 112° after TDC (top dead center)
- Maximum diameter is that of a chainring 2t bigger than the size you order (so be sure there is adequate chainstay clearance!)
- If you plan to ride in very muddy conditions, we recommend a chainguide or chainkeeper in addition to a clutch-type rear derailleur! Without these precautions, you may experience chaindrops and/or chainsuck.
- Weight: 30t - 41g, 32t - 50g, 34t - 59g